Walt Mossberg, author of the weekly Personal Technology column in The Wall Street Journal, along with Kara Swisher, fellow WSJ columnist, led a lively discussion Thursday evening at the Churchill Club with Chad Hurley, CEO & Co-Founder of YouTube and Greg Harper, Strategic Advisor to the Chairman of Trans World Entertainment.
The Topic – What's hot and what's not in personal technology.
Reporting back for all you last minute shoppers:
1. Samsung BlackJack smart device, featuring easy navigation, 3G high speed data access, stereo access and a quad-band world phone. Keeping my Treo, for now. But check it out.
2. Simple re-usable energy. The USBCell can be recharged simply by plugging into a USB port. Any product that helps the environment is on my wish list.
3. Wireless iPod ear buds. The end to getting tangled. Perfect for gym workouts, listening to/watching old episodes of Lost, Rick Steve's European Christmas, NYT: The Ethicist, The Economist, The.Street.com, ABC News Shuffle, Garrison Keillor's The Writer's Almanac, NPR: Movies, Rocketboom, music...
4. Panasonic's next generation HD Camcorder. Wow, I was impressed. Watch for the release, March '07. Santa? Are you listening? I'll take an IOU!
5. Get book smart. Curl up with Sony Reader. Load up to 80 electronic books and read on demand.
6. The futuristic Jawbone (see above) noise canceling headset. One of the speakers demoed it near a weed wacker and couldn't hear a thing. Perfect for frequent flyers – any class.
7. The Helio Drift, compact slider phone with advanced GPS technology and stereo bluetooth! Full color QVGA display. Good looking and slim.
8. OnAir GT from AutoWave. Free wireless HDTV on the go! Laptop-ready! Add to cart.
9. Do you have a chumby? Probably not yet. This brand new weird furry compact wireless device is a clock radio and then some. You can fetch cool stuff (their words) from the web, including news, photos and messages. I think it's a tween thing.
10. LED Candles. Get romantic anywhere. I love real candlelight for dinner, but for outside events, LED is the way to go.
Nine shopping days and nights left!